Sunday, March 22, 2015

Warped

All right, so for today you're getting a short rant on my hatred of weak metal film reels.

Last night I was in my darkroom winding some TMax 400 into my metal film reel and I was noticing that around the middle of the reel, the film would get messed up and I would have to take it out and start over again (mind you, in total darkness). After several attempts to get it to come out normally I said "screw it" and finished winding the film into the reel. Upon development, I unwound my film from the metal reel and found that I had lost about 5 frames to the negatives touching; this is unacceptable. I looked at the reel itself and found that it was bent out of shape and I quickly and easily bent it back to how it was supposed to be (it wasn't a lot, just barely enough to see).
If you look closely, you can see the undeveloped film in the middle of the strip.

I buy metal reels because they DON'T break! The plastic reels are nice because they hold your hand through winding the film on but the plastic is brittle and they break easily. I figured that the metal reels wouldn't do things like that. I mean, my medium format reel doesn't, so why would the 35mm reel be any different.
Not my reel, but the one I have looks exactly like this one.

The funny part is, I store my 35mm reel inside the tank, so I don't know how it got screwed up...


No comments:

Post a Comment