Thursday, June 16, 2016

Hackjob

Alright, here it is- Part 2 of my Nikon Coolscan LS2000 post. This is going to be somewhat difficult to explain in non-computer terms, so I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.


Basically, my workflow involves three different main parts: My glorious ThinkPad T530 (my main computer), the Nikon Coolscan LS2000, and a Macintosh Performa 5215CD with a 5500 motherboard and 300 MHz G3 processor upgrade.


The Performa manages to be even older than the scanner and this makes it somewhat difficult to use because it doesn't have USB, is comparatively slow to modern computers, and can't access Dropbox or Google Drive (although it can access basic websites).

I overcome these shortcomings by connecting the computer to my ThinkPad via ethernet and using the Web Sharing application on the Performa to host the photos I scan to my ThinkPad, which can access them in a web browser. Inevitably, downloading files is quite slow, but pays off, as it allows me to keep my scanner relevant and gives me a reason to own such a relic from the mid 90s.

 So, coming up next- An actual video of me using this scanner and computer! It should be out on YouTube in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment